Director Nursing Education and Professional Development
Penn State Health
February 15, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is seeking a dynamic and forward thinking Director of Nursing Education and Professional Development. As an engaged leader, this role will be responsible for the assessment, implementation, oversight and expansion of nursing education and development for all levels of nursing and ancillary nursing support staff. Our Director of Nursing Education and Professional Development will enhance training programs for clinical and non-clinical orientation programs and will collaborate with leadership to identify training solutions that support the mission, values, and strategic imperatives of our organization.
* Display our RITE values in all they do (Respect, Integrity, Teamwork and Excellence)
* Designs, implements and evaluates orientation programs, educational programs, and professional development programs to promote professional growth and advance clinical practice.
* Collaborates in the design, implementation and evaluation of patient/family educational programs to promote patient self-management practices and optimal health outcomes, facilitate discharge, and improve patient satisfaction.
* Functions as a nursing education and professional development expert by providing consultative services related to adult learning and educational theory, curricular design, measurement and evaluation to nursing leadership and inter-professional colleagues.
* Hires, counsels and disciplines staff. Serves as a mentor and coach to educators, managers and staff and provides opportunities for professional and clinical growth.
* Develops and approves operating and capital budgets for assigned programs and areas.
* Determines and recommends appropriate staffing based on patient acuity and patient needs as related to educational programs.
* Participates with the CNO and Nursing Executive Council to establish standards of nursing practice based on professional practice standards, published clinical practice guidelines and evidence-based information. Assures compliance with standards set by the Nursing Executive Council and regulatory and accreditation agencies.
* Oversees the Nurse Residency Program and its core objectives, and monitors the program for quality outcomes and return on investment.
* Chairs the Nurse Residency Advisory Committee.
* Represents the Department of Nursing on selected departmental/institutional committees and assumes leadership for directing departmental initiatives that support the core missions and values of the Penn State Health Hershey Medical Center and Penn State College of Medicine.
* Partners with the Human Resources Director of Learning and Leadership Development to plan and execute leadership development strategies that align with overarching Health System goals.
* Conducts evaluation research to determine the effectiveness of professional development programs. Measures and evaluates performance outcomes and organizational impact of educational program for identification of improvement opportunities.
* Directs and collaborates with others on research and scientific evaluation of staff education, including financial analysis and technology application.
* Demonstrates evidence of career advancement through continuing education, scholarly accomplishments
* Responsible for the administration, development, implementation, and evaluation of the continuing nursing education program and PSNA provider requirements.
* Oversees the coordination of student clinical experiences with schools of nursing and health care career programs. Serves as liaison with other external organizations, as directed
Master of Science in Nursing degree (MS/MSN) required.
Representative knowledge, skills and abilities of Nursing Professional Development per the ANA Scope and Standards required.
Currently licensed to practice as a registered nurse by Pennsylvania Board of Nurse Examiners required.
Doctor of Nursing Practice or PhD strongly preferred.
Certification in Nursing Professional Development or Nursing Administration preferred.
At least 5 years of nursing education and professional development experience.
Experience with RN residency programs strongly preferred.
If chosen for this position, you may be required to pass a Post Offer Employment Physical Exam in accordance with the measurements listed in the Work Task Analysis (WTA) report. This job description is a general outline of duties performed and is not to be misconstrued as encompassing all duties performed within the position. All individuals (including current employees) selected for a position will undergo a background check appropriate for the position’s responsibilities.
Penn State Health is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you are unable to use our online application process due to an impairment or disability, please call 717-531-8440 between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, Eastern Standard Time, Monday – Friday, email firstname.lastname@example.org or download our Accommodation Instructions for Job Applicants PDF for more detailed steps for assistance.
Internal Number: 9454
About Penn State Health
At Penn State Hershey, our mission is to enhance the quality of life and serve our community through improved health, the education of health professionals, and the discovery of knowledge. For us, service excellence is not only for our patients but also our employees. It means valuing each and every employee.